Tuesday 1 November 2011

Les Claypool - Of Fungi And Foe


To kick things off I'm gonna post Les' second and most recent solo effort. I prefer this album over Of Whales And Woe, the songs are arranged more interestingly, though that's not to say 'Whales...' is dull in the slightest. If you've heard the new Primus effort and how it's style is somewhat darker than their pre-reformation releases, you'll find the seeds of said style sown on this album.

'Bite Out Of Life' is the stand out tune for me, the manic vocal stylings of Gogol Bordello's Eugene Hutz play off well against Les' more driven approach, whilst musically it's one of the quicker numbers. It makes me like to imagine I'm going mental at some sort of barn dance/people weeing on each other party while they perform the song live and I'm like 3 feet from the stage and Hutz is getting all up on the speakers and shit, maybe weeing on somebody (not me, I'm not there for the wee party).

Also the other songs are good. The tracks Les composed for the Mushroom Men games and Pig Hunt make an appearance too.

0 comments: